Concepts of Health & Disease
Health is a basic human need and better health improves your quality of life.
There are various changing concepts of Health . Absence of disease being the traditional concept – Biomedical concept . Health is perceived in different ways nowadays giving rise to following concepts:
1. Biomedical concept
2.Ecological concept : Health is perceived as balance between man and his environment and one who cannot adjust is not fit to be called healthy.
3. Psychosocial concept : Health is also influenced by social, psychological , cultural , economic and political factors of the people concerned.
4.Holistic concept : is an integrated approach towards wellbeing of the human being.
This was keypoints about concepts of Health. I hope it helps .
It can be simpliflied into 3 popularly known as JACKSON’S TRIAD
The orthodontist should try to fulfill this Jackson’s triad by his/her treatment.
FUNCTIONAL EFFICIENCY : Firstly the orthodontist must try to improve the function of the oro-facial apparatus .
Many malocclusions affect the function of the stomatognathic system
STRUCTURAL BALANCE : The oro-facial region has 3 systems .
Stable best orthodontic treatment is achieved by maintaining balance between the 3 given below :
- Dento-alveolar system
- Skeletal tissue
- Soft tissue including musculature .
AESTHETIC HARMONY :
- Most common reason to turn to orthodontist is to improve the appearance of the teeth and face.
- Aesthetics affect individual’s self confidence .
- Affects success in society .
- Indispensable part of orthodontic treatment .
Article Reference taken from S.I.BHALAJHI , 7th Edition