I would like to give brief about types of finger rest , types of fulcrum , Ideal wrist position and what is the importance of it in my blog
● Finger rest are very important part in dentistry for every treatment what ever we do which includes right from oral examination to other instruments like scaling, extraction and as well while performing root canal treatment which are usually a time taking without improper finger rest there will be excess strain on the dentist. To get least amount of stress and strain on the dentist while performing dental treatments for prolonged periods of time.
● Finger rest even important in proper retraction of cheek or tongue. Wrist position is also an important aspect to get proper finger rest and helps in reducing the strain on your hand. The fulcrum is a finger rest which is used to stabilize the working hand during periodontal treatment. A fulcrum gives us precise control over the amount of pressure being applied during each stroke.
TYPES OF FINGER RESTS FOR DENTAL SCALING FOR MAXILLA AND MANDIBLE
● Conventional finger rest : The finger rest is established on the tooth surfaces immediately adjacent to working area
● Cross arch finger rest : The finger rest is established on the tooth surfaces on the other side of the same arch which is being worked on
● Opposite arch finger rest : The finger rest is established on the tooth surfaces on opposite arch. For example like finger rest is taken on the mandibular arch while working on the maxillary arch
● Finger on finger rest or reinforced finger rest : The fourth finger of the operating hand rests on the index finger while the non operating hand on the lingual surfaces of maxillary posterior teeth are instrumented
● Palm up extra oral fulcrum : The back of the finger rest on the right lateral aspect of mandible while the maxillary right posterior teeth are instrumented
● Palm down extra oral fulcrum : The front surfaces of finger rest on left lateral aspect of mandible while the maxillary left posterior teeth are instrumented
TYPES OF FULCRUM IN DENTISTRY
● Intra oral fulcrum : The stabilizing Finger is placed on the tooth close to the working area
● Extra oral fulcrum : The fingers are placed on the chin or cheek outside mouth to get better stabilization
IDEAL WRIST POSITION IN DENTISTRY
Wrist position is also an important aspect to support ideal finger rest in order to decrease the stress on your wrist and tendons while working. These are 4 to 5 things which should be kept in mind to get an ideal wrist position
● Wrist should be aligned with lower arm
● Palm should be open and relaxed to decrease the strain on the wrist muscles
● Light pressure against the handle and with the thumb in oder to get good grip
● Index finger thumb held in rounded shape against the instrument being used
So, proper technique , finger rest , fulcrum and ideal wrist position are very essential which should be followed to give proper and stress free positioning for the dentist to work on.
Reference :- self notes