Continuous force- active force that decreases little in magnitude betwwen appointments.
- Light weight appliances
- Highly flexible appliance components used which are activated at low force level.
- No interference with biological function and no harm to soft tissues.
- Direct resorption of bone
Intermittent force- active force that decays to zero before next appointment.
- High stiffness appliances
- Twice the force activation for corresponding soft tissue deformation
- Undermining resorption and corresponding tooth movement.
Interrupted force- inactive for intervals of time between appointments
- Cyclic, long term magnitude time pattern
- Heavy forces delivered
- No force decay
Reference- orthodontics bhalajhi