It is degenerative disease of weight-bearing joints, although TMJ (tempero-mandibular joint) is not a weight bearing joint.
Clinical features :-
- Pain rarely presents
- Causes clicking sounds while opening and closing mouth
- Limitation of movements of jaw
- Sometimes inflammation can be seen
- Vertical and horizontal cracks on articular cartilage
- Cartilage becomes less elastic
- Degeneration of chondrocyte
- localised destruction of cartilage
- NSAIDs are extremely beneficial for treating patients with TMJ Osteoarthritis as they have a dual effect of reducing pain and reducing inflammation.
- Condylectomy should be considered in severe cases
Images :- Google
Writing :- notes made from mastering bds, Sanjay Kumar Purkait books