It is one of most incapacitating of all diseases involving this structure.
- In Complete Ankylosis i.e there is limitation of motion.
- In Unilateral Ankylosis i.e chin is displaced.
- In Intra-articular Ankylosis, joint undergoes progressive destruction.
- In Extra-articular Ankylosis, splitting of TMJ.
Clinical features :-
- Occurs before 10 years of age
- Equal sex distribution
- Restriction in opening of mouth
- Injury at infancy or childhood, there is associated facial deformity.
- Pain may occur in some cases
- Inflammation may be seen
- NSAIDS can be use as medical treatment.
- Surgical methods like condylectomy intraoral coronoidectomy, ramus osteotomy, high condylectomy, forceful opening of the jaw under general anesthesia, lysis of adhesions of the pterygoid space.
Image :- Google
Writing :- notes made from mastering bds and Sanjay Kumar Purkait books