It is not true cyst, it occurs due to retention of mucous material, due to trauma, involving salivary glands and their ducts
Clinical features :-
- It occurs on lower lip, but may also occur in palate,cheek,tongue,floor of mouth.
- Recurrence is common.
- Superficial lesion appears as raised, bluish,translucent.
- There are two types a. Extravasation type b. Retention type.
- Extravasation type is far more common than retention type.
- Cavity of mucocele is lined by stratified squamous epithelium.
- It’s wall is made of compressed fibrous connective tissue and fibroblast.
- Lumen is filled with eosinophilic coagulum.
Images :- Google
Writing :- notes made from Swapan Kumar Purkait, Mastering bds books