Effects of radiation on oral structures depends on various factors :-
- Source of radiation.
- Total amount of radiation.
- Type of filtration.
- Total area of tissue irradiated.
- Initially mucosa becomes erythematous and atrophic.
- Mucositis develops later on necrosis, denudation, ulceration and sloughing of epithelium.
- Pain, discomfort and secondary infections etc occur commonly.
- Mucositis may extend to large area of oral cavity,nasopharynx,esophagus etc.
- Very often there is loss or alteration of taste sensation due to degeneration of taste buds.
- Pain and discomfort remains for about two weeks.
- Mucosa becomes coarse and atrophic after healing in many cases.
- Use of prosthesis must be completely stopped till complete recovery
Image :- Google website. Writting :- Notes made from Sanjay Kumar Purkait and Mastering bds books