- Ankylosis can ONLY be treated surgically.
- There is no form of pharmacological management.
- Type of surgery depends on age of the patient & extent of deformity.
- Treatment also varies if ankylosis is unilateral/bilateral.
SINGLE STAGE V/S 2-STAGE SURGICAL PROCEDURES:
- Surgery can be done in two stages.
- In the first operation, only a release of ankylosis is done.
- It is believed that growth takes place after release of ankylosis.
- Second stage procedure,an orthognathic surgery can be performed to restore esthetics.
- Some, however prefer to it as a single stage procedure,where release of ankylosis + esthetic correction is done in a single stage operation in adults.
There are 3 types:
- Gap Arthroplasty.
- Interpositional Arthroplasty.
2. GAP ARTHROPLASTY:
3. INTERPOSITIONAL ARTHROPLASTY:
- Textbook of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Chitra Chakravarthy (2nd Edition)